Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Liar, liar, pants on fire....

I had lunch yesterday with a friend who is just about the most trustworthy person I know. When she says she's going to do something, she does it. When she says she's going to be somewhere, she's there early. When she tells you how something happened, you know you could play a video and it would look just like she described it. This friend is also a very generous and open person. She will do anything to help you at any time.

I also know someone who is known for being an untruth teller (hear how gently I put that?). You cannot trust this woman with a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. I'm convinced that she lies, just to prove that she can. It's actually very strange to be around a pathological liar. Say you've had a one-on-one conversation, you both know what happened, but when you hear the liar repeat what happened--it's nothing like what went down. Now why would someone do that? They know you know the truth, but they still lie! Bizarre, huh? This woman is also extremely controlling, selfish with her time, and (figuratively, of course) takes her toys home when people don't play the game the way she wants.

Frankly, I'd never thought about there being a correlation between lying and being a selfish, narcissist. Then I read this from the Mayo Clinic: "Pathological lying is one of the hallmark characteristics of a narcissist, who does it out of a need to manipulate and maintain control."

I'm the sort of person who likes to find reasons for behaviors, it helps me make sense of nonsensical things--like why a person would ever choose to be a liar.

Next up: Trying to figure out why a person would ever believe anything a pathological liar says.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.” Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: