Friday, May 7, 2010

Book Report: The Tea Rose

I had high hopes for this massive door stop. I was told, "you'll love it!" "you won't be able to put it down!" "there's a sequel!". Well, you may...but I didn't.

In fact, The Tea Rose is everything I don't like about so-called historical fiction. Pick a time period, throw in a bunch of unrelated events (in this case, everything from Jack the Ripper, to dock strikes in London, to Nellie Bly the American journalist...and way, way more improbable, intersecting events), then add a modern female heroine (feisty, strong, witty, ambitious, blah, blah, blah), and a few modern storylines (gay character befriends our feisty, strong, witty and ambitious heroine)...and stretch it out for 550 unlikely, trite, and unchallenging pages...and ta da! An historical fiction book is born.

If you like Barbara Taylor Bradford books, you'll love this. I don't and I didn't.

No comments: