Monday, April 5, 2010

Station break

Oh my! We've certainly had a lot of changes at Chez Collett.

After nearly 20 years with my television station, and over 30 years in the media world, I find myself unemployed. I'm choosing to look at this as an extended vacation--or early, early retirement.

Wow! What happened?? Who did what to whom? Who said what? How? Why?

I don't need to go into any of the details here, if you want those you'll just have to ask. Suffice it to say that working at the station hasn't been a lot of fun for a very long time, so other than the obvious (lack of pay check), it's really a positive situation.

I've been amazed by the kindness of so many of my friends. And, well, I've also been amazed by the people who I thought were friends that I haven't heard from.

Wrapping up my twenty years at the station, I couldn't be more proud of my performance and that of my team--everyone who has come and gone, and those folks who remain. We took a station that was #4 in the market and made it #1!

In a few days Mr. C and I are going on vacation. Think of us enjoying a sunny beach during the day and a nice sunset in the evening.*

Change is good.

"There is no reason why the same man should like the same books at eighteen and forty-eight." ~Ezra Pound




* I bought all new shorts a size bigger than I usually wear so I can eat whatever I want...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't been checking the blogs lately and didn't realize you were 'retired' - sorry to hear it and yet hoping it turns out to be a good thing for you. As you say, change is good - keep smiling. Ann

Kathryn said...

I'm hoping it turns out to be a good thing, too.

Jenn said...

Okay...I don't know how I missed this post.
You will turn it into a good thing. I'm not worried about you and John, you will find the best and make the most of this situation.
Enjoy your little vacation with John and we can plan a big family trip to Greece soon!!!
There are big changes going on in all of our lives, it's how we choose to deal with the changes is how we grow!

Ed. Tritschler said...

Kathryn
somehow I too missed the post.
First of all the loss of a job is not the end of the world. In a thirty nine year career I was there twice.
I have carried a little saying in my planner for over twenty five years.
"The bumps of life
will either make youbitter or better"
Knowing you I am confident you will be better.
Ed

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you on Sunny beaches and all that fun you are going to have. And all the food you are going to eat. Forget your troubles and enjoy the vacation!

Anonymous said...

oops, forgot to let you know who wrote that (that's why I like FB)!
Karen T.