Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book Report: Neuromancer

I'm not a huge fan of war movies, mainly because I lose track of who the good guys and bad guys are and who's winning the battles. But, I can still appreciate a great war movie like Saving Private Ryan or The Longest Day.

That's the way I felt reading Neuromancer, by William Gibson. I probably only understood about 30% of this book. Neuromancer is all about an underground, futuristic world of artificial intelligence, double crossing low-level thieves, computer hackers, mercenaries, and other captivating characters...like the Rastafarian pilot who figures largely in the climax.

Interestingly, Neuromancer was written more than 20 years ago and except for some dated computer references it's surprisingly modern and maintains a huge cult-like following. The characters are far more developed than the plot, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Did I like Neuromancer? Ah, not so much. But, ironically, I'm glad I read it--and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes science fiction.

No comments: