Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Book Report--The Path to Power

I finished the final book on my 2009 reading list: The Path to Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson, Volume 1). This is one massive book. {Embarassed to say I think I read this book before but didn't realize it until I was at least a third of the way through the 960 pages}.

Author Robert Caro has made writing bios of LBJ his life's work. There are already three volumes and Caro says a fourth will be published in 2012.

This volume is as much about Texas and its history as LBJ. Caro writes vividly about farm life in the Texas hills during the Depression--no electricity, no running water, poverty beyond belief and no way out. Texas looms large in shaping LBJ.

Johnson is alternatingly fascinating, complicated, endearing, and completely disgusting.

Can't wait to get to Volume 2.

P.S. Tomorrow I'm going to publish a list of my favorite books from 2009

No comments: