Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010 reading list

So, here's the reading list for 2010. I've added a category (Inspirational/Spiritual) since 2009's list included The Bible and that's obviously very inspirational and spiritual. You'll see some old favorites and some books that are probably as new to you as they are to me. All are highly recommended by book critics.

Classical Fiction:
To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
The Count of Monte Christo, by Alexander Dumas
The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Crime & Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Mystery/Suspense:
Strangers On A Train, by Patricia Highsmith
The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler
Anatomy of a Murder, by Robert Traver
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie
The Postman Always Rings Twice, by James Cain

Biographies/Autobiographies:
Means of Ascent (LBJ), by Robert Caro
The Diary of A Young Girl, by Anne Frank
A Narrative of the Life of Davy Crockett, by Davy Crockett
Dale Carnegie: The Man Who Influenced Millions, by Giles Kemp
Eisenhower, Soldier & President: Stephen Ambrose

Historical Fiction:
Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden
Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett
Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck

Science Fiction:
1984, by George Orwell
Foundation, by Isaac Asimov
Neuromancer, by William Gibson
Slaughterhouse 5, by Kurt Vonnegut
The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula LeGuin

Spiritual/Inspirational:
The Road Less Traveled, by M. Scott Peck
I & Thou, by Martin Buber
Waiting for God, by Simone Weil
The Story Of A Soul, by St. Theres of Lisieux
Letters And Papers From Prison, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Plus, four bestsellers that pop up in the year and 12 book club selections.

Oh my, this is a big list! But I'm determined. The Pillars of the Earth is calling my name now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like when you give us your list - it always has some good suggestions. I've probably only read about 6 or 7 of those. What I can't figure out is how you are able to compile such a list in advance - I just go from book to book. Happy Reading, Happy New Year and thanks for the list.
Ann

Ed. Tritschler said...

In 2008 as one of my four classic book selections I read To Kill A Mocking Bird and I really enjoyed the book.