Monday, October 26, 2009

Not here to talk about the past

I'll admit it, I've never been a Tony La Russa fan. I'm more of a "baseball is a little boys' game for big boys" purist. I hate Tony's overmanaging, batting the pitcher 8th, lefty/righty matchups, bad dye job, defending the indefensible (Chris Duncan anyone?), California residency, `he's a lawyer', endless tinkering with the line-up, prickly press conferences--all topped off by this year's three and out post-season play.

About this time every year I start praying Tony will just stay on the west coast and tend to his pets. I'm sure he'd be much happier living with his wife and daughters fulltime and making PSAs in Hollywood for PETA.

Unfortunately, Cardinals fans heard today that Tony's coming back. If that wasn't bad enough he's bringing Mark `I'm Not Hear To Talk About The Past' McGwire with him as the hitting coach. That's right, bring back a 263 lifetime hitter (probably an enhanced # at that) to teach our guys how to hit. Maybe we should have given MM a trial run in September when the bats went silent just in time for the playoffs. MM could at least relate since he had 1596 strikeouts of his own--far outnumbering his 1,414 RBIs.

So now we have the disgraced Mark McGwire slithering back on the payroll, side-by-side with his Manager/Enabler Tony LaRussa.

I used to give TLR the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore. I'm done with him.

1 comment:

Ed. Tritschler said...

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Ed