Tuesday, May 5, 2009

American Idol 2009 Top 4 Adam and Allison Rock It Out

Tonight's rock theme should favor Adam and Allison, and could actually tip the scales.

Last year's rock night was the undoing of both Jason Castro and David Archuleta. Danny needs to keep his cheese-ball tendencies under control. Please don't sing "Old Time Rock and Roll." Allison should channel her inner Heart or Bonnie Raitt and let loose. No advice for Kris (the only real musician left in the competition). My advice for Adam is to try to be understated. That would be a change for him.

There's also a rumor that the contestants will be singing a second song...a duet with another contestant. Who knows how that will work out.

Some behind-the-scenes notes...a production assistant fell off the set today, so there was no dress rehearsal and Adam and Kris are feuding.


{Current power rankings are in parenthesis after the contestant's name}


Adam Lambert (1)I think this is the first time Adam's been first. He's sing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love". I know I'm in the minority, but it's just too much of everything for my taste. Too much eyeliner, too much silver jacket, to much scowling. I like the original version better. That said, I know the judges will love him and you probably will too. Simon even predicts that noone else will top his performance.

Allison Iraheta (4) Allison sing Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby". I think Allison looks amazing tonight. She completely channels her rock side. Can't wait for her first album. The judges diss her.



Kris & Danny Duet: Amazing that singing with Kris, Danny's voice sounds melodic, but weak. He's clearly not comfortable with the whole rock genre. Harmonies were awesome. Simon disagrees with me and says Danny's better than Kris.


{The Glee commercial mays it look like a fun show.}



Kris Allen (3) Yipee yipee yipee!! A Beatles tune: Come Together. Okay, it's already obvious that the judges are pushing for an Adam/Danny show down in the finals. So, I'm predicting they're really come down hard on Kris' performance. I thought it was fun. Randy liked his guitar playing. Kara didn't like the performance. Paula called him an artist, but he needs more energy. Simon didn't like it and called it boring. So my prediction was correct.


Danny Gokey (2)Aerosmith's "Dream On" is as close to a ballad and still a rock song as possible. Every week I'm amazed at how many notes Danny misses and doesn't get busted on..and I'm not talking about the final note. I'm talking about the easy ones at the beginning. Terrible. Even though Simon said it was a horror show...he predicted he'll be safe tonight. Wow. That's how much they're in the tank for this guy.

Allison and Adam Duet: "Slow Ride." Head and shoulders beyond the Kris and Danny duet.



Who should go home {based on tonight}: Danny

Who will go home: Kris Allen

No comments: