Tuesday, April 7, 2009

American Idol Top 8 Performances: That was the year that was

The theme tonight is guaranteed to make me feel ancient. The kids are singing songs from the years they were born...which from my calculations would range from about 1980 through 1993. Unfortunately, with the exception of say Queen, Bon Jovi, and a couple of Madonna tunes, music from the 80s and early 90s wasn't very good. Raise your hand if you remember all that awful Lionel Richie drek {eg. All Night Long, Hello, etc.}.

Anoop and Scott better hope their birth years delivered some dynamite songs. They need stellar performances to stay in the competition. And--please, let's hear some of that "big voice" the judges are always telling us Little has.

Vegas has Adam taking home the AI crown this year. I'm not convinced yet. I think he may be too polarizing to win...kind of like Hillary Clinton.

We're treated to baby pics of the four judges and Ryan. Very cute.

Danny Gokey (2)Danny's the oldest contestant, born in 1980...he's going first and singing "Stand By Me." I'm not a huge fan of this slow version, until he gets into the chorus. Even then it's a little boring for my taste. Very jazzy, though. The judges seem to have said (I'm translating): terrible arrangement, good vocals.



Kris Allen (3)Kris "crooked mouth" Allen (b. 1985) has come on strong the last couple of weeks. A solid performance tonight will keep him at the top of the pack. He's singing "All She Wants To Do Is Dance." Again, I don't like the arrangement. Whoa, the mosh pit is back. Not so good on the vocals. Overall, a really weak performance by one of my favorites. Oh well.




Lil "Little" Rounds (6) Little was born in 1985. I like her straight hair. Little's singing some Tina Turner, "What's Love Got To Do With It." She comes out dancing in a short skirt she shouldn't be wearing. This is probably Little's best performance, but a lot of it was just shouting. The rest of it sounded like a Tina wannabe. BTW, I completely disagree with the judges saying Little looked hot. The rear view of this outfit was ghastly.





Anoop Desai (7) Anoop's all apologetic for being a jerk to Kara last week. He's wearing a lime green and white striped sweater that makes him look like an ice cream vendor. Anoop (b 1986) unfortunately decides to sing Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors." I always know it's a mediocre performance when it leaves me wanting to hear the original version. In the high parts Anoop gets very whiny. I'm rather unimpressed tonight. I told you 80s music was blech. Randy liked his control. Kara liked his control. Paula liked his satin voice. Simon called him a singing yo-yo. I want him to go home, but his above average performance tonight will limp him along to torture us another week.





Scott McIntyre (8)Please, please, please, don't sit behind and sing to us, Scott. Scott was a chubby little boy born in 1985, who wanted to be a train engineer. Okay, use your imagination. Well, hooray, he's not playing piano. He's playing guitar. Blah. What is he looking at? What is he singing? Bad squeaky vocals. Boring song. Scott's going home this week.






Allison Iraheta (4) The baby of the bunch--born in 1992. She's a doll. Singing Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me." Spot on vocals. Hate the outfit. My favorite performance of the night so far.






Matt Giraud (5) We see the cutest video of Matt (b. 1985) as a little angel in a school play. Singing Stevie's "Part Time Lover." I give Matt props for not doing it like the Stevie Wonder version. I thought it was very cool and contemporary. Loved it. Matt definitely redeemed himself from last week's debacle.






Adam Lambert (1) (B. 1982) Is he sitting on a giant ice cube? What is that thing? He sings "Mad World." Adam's reminding me more and more of Freddie Mercury. He missed the last note, but it was another fearless performance. Simon gives him the first standing ovation during the non-finals-- ever.






Bottom 3:
Anoop Desai
Scott McIntyre
Little Rounds

Top 3:
Allison Iraheta
Matt Giraud
Adam Lambert

Going home: Scott McIntyre

No comments: