Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol 2009 Top 7 performances: Hooray For Hollywood

The theme tonight is `music from the movies'. Quentin Tarantino is a guest mentor. Now before you all go crying foul and saying `what does the director of Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction know about singing?'

Well, way back in 2004's season 3 here's what Quentin had to say to Diana DeGarmo after her performance:

So Quentin may be weird, but his critiques are at least as substantive as Paula's. I read that he's a huge American Idol fan, and asked the producers if he could come back.

I think Anoop and Little are really on the hot seat tonight. They just haven't been very good the last few weeks...certainly not the same caliber of the rest of the contestants. It's time for them to pack their bags.

{Current power rankings are in parenthesis after the contestant's name}

Allison Iraheta (2) Singing Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." I'm a huge Allison fan, but I didn't think she got into the song until 2/3 of the way through. First 2/3 I give her a B-. Last 1/3 I give her an A. The judges loved her, called her authentic. Too bad she had to go first.




Anoop Desai (7) Quentin gave Anoop great advice when he told him to `rough it up' when he sang "Everything I Do." That little bit of drama made this the Anoop's best performance yet. I still want him to go home though. And I'm probably putting him in my bottom 3. Sorry. Oh yeah, I also really really hate the faux blazer, leather jacket thing he was wearing.




Adam Lambert (1) "Born To Be Wild"...that's the song, not Adam. I pretty much love his vocals, but could have done without the dancing, grimacing, jumping, etc. I'd never buy an Adam Lambert CD, but I appreciate him. I'm also really sick of everyone thinking it's a foregone conclusion he's winning this year's winner.





Matt Giraud (4) "To Really Love A Woman". I'm hoping Matt doesn't drive down Boring Avenue tonight. Interesting song styling. Randy said he missed a lot of the notes, but I'm not sure it makes much difference. He's still one of my favorites. BTW, awesome at the piano.





Danny Gokey (3)Yucky Lionel Richie "My Love." I l-o-a-t-h-e this song. Talking about missing notes. This was an abomination until the full orchestra joined the harp to drown Danny out. If Matt didn't drive us to Boring Avenue, we're there now with Danny. Don't believe anything Paula said about it being magical. It wasn't. It was horrible.





Kris Allen (5) Kris sings "Falling Slowly." Quentin really liked him in the mentor session. As for me, I'm still firmly parked on Boring Avenue for a second performance in a row. I've never even heard this song before. It was interminable. I don't think Kris did himself any favors.




Lil "Little" Rounds (6) Little gets the judges' choice spot tonight. They're really hoping she finally vindicates their early and constant praise. Does it seem like someone sings "The Rose" every year? Maybe not. Weak performance. Off key. All over the real notes, but never quite there.






Bottom 3:
Anoop Desai
Little Rounds
Danny Gokey

Top 3:
Allison Iraheta
Adam Lambert
Kris Allen...reluctantly

Going home: Anoop Desai

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your pretty spot on with all that.

thanx it really helped me actually.

hope to see next weeks results