Tuesday, April 21, 2009

American Idol 2009: Feed A Cold, Starve a Disco Fever Top 7 Performances

It's disco night, which typically means the inevitable undoing of some contestant. Remember Blake Lewis trying to beat box his way through the BeeGees' classic "You Should Be Dancing"? How about Jasmine Trias and her version of "Everlasting Love"? No. Well, you're lucky.

Two kids are going home tomorrow night. My predictions?

Anoop hasn't delivered a good performance of an upbeat song yet, plus he's established residency in the bottom 3 circle week after week, so I think he definitely has a target on his back.

You'd think that Little's big, belting voice would make disco night a piece of cake for her. But we've been saying that for weeks. I'm starting to wonder if she ever did have a big, belting voice. Plus, she always chooses diva songs. Let's hope she doesn't go for the obvious {Donna Summer} and surprises us by surprising us. Capiche?

Adam and Allison will do great.

Matt will be boring.

Kris, hmmmmmmm...could be trouble.

Danny doesn't even have to sing and people will vote for him.

Personally, I'm finished with Anoop and Little. Please, folks. It's time for them to go home.

On with the show.

{Current power rankings are in parenthesis after the contestant's name}

Lil "Little" Rounds (7) "I'm Every Woman" Little was all over the place. Screechy, yelling, as Randy put it...wild. She didn't do Donna Summer, but she did do Chaka Khan. Go home.





Kris Allen (4) "She Works Hard For the Money" A little whiny, but I give him props for doing a Donna Summers in an interesting, fresh way. Sounded like Santana (hey, Paula agreed with me! Don't know if that's a good thing...) Kris keeps growing on me. He could sneak into the final 3 and I wouldn't be mad.





Danny Gokey (3)"September" Brilliant choice of songs. Fit his voice perfectly. Nothing special or different, but a solid performance. He'd have to go mute and fall off the stage to be voted off the competition at this point.





Allison Iraheta (2) "Hot Stuff" This gal is so original and sure of herself. I'd love to have a CD with her songs. I'm always afraid that voting block of youngsters won't appreciate someone like Allison. Oh well. She was awesome and will definitely have a big career.






Adam Lambert (1)"If I Can't Have You." Adam looks like a creepy wedding singer. I think this arrangement really stretched the limits, but I appreciate his vocals. Not for me, but Paula is standing up so it must have been good. Definitely in the finals.





Matt Giraud (5)"Stayin' Alive". I like Matt better with the mole covered, but I really couldn't stand this over-the-top peformance.





Anoop Desai (6) “Dim All the Lights” by Donna Summer Anoop's got the judges' pick spot, so he must have a pretty good performance. Hate the mustache. HATE IT! Also hated his performance. I didn't even understand the song choice or the arrangement. Finally, who's dressing this ice cream vendor? Yep. Simon agreed with me.



Bottom 3:
Little Rounds
Matt Giraud
Anoop Desai


Top 3:
Allison Iraheta
Adam Lambert
Kris Allen

Going home: Anoop Desai

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Two get the boot tonight, right?? I'm with you...Anoop and Lil have been on my list to go for sooo long. Lil's outfit alone, last night made me so happy that I had a FF button on my TiVo!