Thursday, March 12, 2009

Book Report: The Moonstone


I just finished reading The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins. It's in the Mystery/Suspense category of my 2009 reading list. I'll admit, I hated it wasn't a big fan.

Book critics actually consider The Moonstone a classic in the mystery genre. I wanted to know what others saw in this book, so I did some research and discovered that what's become formulaic and cliche-ridden in mysteries actually started with The Moonstone.

I'll give Collins credit for being a groundbreaker at creating the devices used ad nauseum in English mysteries, eg. bunches of suspects, red herrings, an English country manor, investigation by talented amateurs, and the local police officer who bungles the investigation which is eventually saved by the skilled, professional, Scotland Yard detective.

The Moonstone was written in 1868 and first published as a serial in Charles Dickens' magazine.

No comments: