Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol 2009: Get Ready...Get Ready...Taking to the mean streets of Motown

It's the 50th anniversary of Motown and American Idol is celebrating.

Will Scott McIntyre sing something other than a ballad? Can we expect "Little" Rounds to knock it out of the park? Will Anoop's growing fan base remain rock solid and carry him along for another week? Can Megan Joy wow us with something other than her tattoo? Will Adam Lambert murder another classic?

The show's about to begin. Notably, Simon tells us he's not really looking forward to the show. Wow! Smoky Robinson and Barry Gordy!

Matt Giraud (1) Clearly the best last week, let's see if Matt can carry it through tonight. Smoky's very complimentary in the mentoring session. Besides singing...Matt's a really good pianist. I think he's hot and he's growing on me. Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" is sounding good. The judges love him. Even Simon says Matt's a frontrunner. I called it last week...Dark Horse.




Kris Allen (9) Kris has the whole package...looks, talent, piano styling...he's just been too quiet and laid back to really stand out. I wish Kris didn't sing with a crooked mouth. It distracts me every week. I love his version of "How Sweet It Is." Very cool. Also, love the acoustic guitar. Very fun.






Scott McIntyre (5) Smoky Robinson hasn't had one negative thing to say about anybody or anything tonight. He's a really positive performance. Scott's performance is Boring. Boring. Boring. I know. Scott's blind and has fought against all odds to be here. So what? He's still boring, has weird hair, and I think he should go home. Oh yeah, he sang "Can't Hurry Love." The background singers were really good.






Megan Corkrey (6) Her hippy-dippy weirdness is starting to get on my nerves. Trainwreck. Smoky calls her refreshing. I think she's bad and is probably leaving the competition tomorrow night. Scott's happy. BTW, this was our first barefoot performance of the year. And, you know how I feel about those.






Anoop Desai (3) Sitting and singing--always a bad sign. If Anoop didn't have such a huge fan base, I'd predict he's going home soon...but he does--so I'm not. As far as I'm concerned Anoop's way over-rated. If his name was Andy Douglas instead of Anoop Desai, he'd already be out of the competition. "Oooh Baby, Baby" Anoop's lucky he came after Trainwreck Megan.






Michael Sarver (10) Michael's lost a bit of his mojo of late. He's got a nice backstory, but he's a little ordinary. Hoping he picks a great song tonight. Well, the song {Ain't Too Proud To Beg} was good, but Michael wasn't. Lounge lizard material. His performance made me feel sorry for him. Like Anoop and Scott, Michael was bad...but not worse than Megan.





Lil "Little" Rounds (4) This night was made for Little, but she just didn't make it as memorable as she could have. Wise choice to sing "Heatwave", but Little just made me want to hear the real version. Her phrasing sounded nervous and breathless. Still, Little goes into the Top 3 by default.





Adam Lambert (8) I still haven't recovered from last week's debacle and have no prediction at all for this week. My only hope is he doesn't sing Diana Ross. "Tracks of My Tears". I'm just not an Adam fan. Sort of like I wasn't a Fantasia fan. But that really doesn't matter. The judges loved him. BTW, does Adam look like Alec Baldwin to you?





Danny Gokey (2) Danny doesn't have to sing a note to be safe for another week. Danny sings "Get Ready" and it was just average for him, but way better than say a Scott McIntyre. He'll be in the top 3.












Allison Iraheta (7) I'm not feeling the judges' love for Allison. She's one of my favorites, but without their stamp of approval she could be heading home soon. Allison belts out "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." Can't believe she's only 16. Fitting ending to the show! She's probably the closest to a real artist of the bunch. Love her.










Top 3:
Allison Iraheta
Matt Giraud
Adam Lambert

Bottom 3:
Scott McIntyre
Michael Sarver
Megan Corkrey

Going home:
Megan Corkrey

No comments: