Sunday, January 4, 2009

Book Report--The Great Gatsby


Kicking off 2009's reading list in the category of classical fiction is F.Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

`Whenevever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, `just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.'

He didn't say any more, but we've always been unusually communicative in a reserved way, and I understood that he meant a great deal more than that."

I know, you probably read this book in high school. Well, read it again. I don't know how any teenager could ever understand the adult themes of the book. Can you remake yourself? Is achieving The American Dream just a dream for most people? Is the self-made man a myth? What choices do women have in our society? Do they diminish or enlarge with wealth?

Fitzgerald was at his finest with this book. His observations, seen through narrator Nick's eyes were dry, tightly written, economical. Here's one of my all time favorite lines in American literature:
"Her voice was full of money."

No comments: