Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Book Report: Ender's Game

"I've watched through his eyes. I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get."

"That's what you said about the brother."

"The brother tested out impossible. For other reasons. Nothing to do with his ability."



Do I look like a science fiction/fantasy fan to you? Well, I'm not. But! I did read Orson Scott Card's novel Ender's Game and didn't find it a waste of time.

Sometime in the future, a long, long, time away...six-year-old Ender Wiggin is recruited and trained to save the world from an alien invasion. That's as much of the plot as I'm going to tell you because I'm afraid saying anymore would ruin the story.

As you read the book remember that Card wrote it in 1985. Amazing that there are so many references to the "internet", e-mail, and virtual video games before they were available to the general public.

One thing I didn't like about the book is that the final chapter is an obvious set up for sequels. In fact, there are five books that follow this one chronicling Ender's adventures. If you like this kind of novel you've got some reading to keep you busy.

No comments: