Thursday, January 1, 2009

They're called GOALS, not resolutions


2008 was good for us. We were blessed in so many ways. Today I have high hopes for 2009. Just think...all those 24-hour periods to do something positive and meaningful.



Looking in the rear view mirror, here were my goals for 2008:
Completed:
1)Take golf lessons.
2)Pay cash.
3)Learn to knit.
4)Make a trip to Italy.
5)Have 8 dinner parties. We had 10
6)Learn Italian.
7)Go to 8 movies.
8)Read 50 books (I'm so proud of this one--I read 60!)

Not completed, but points for trying:
1)Go to 8 new restaurants: We only managed 5, but in our defense we only counted new (to us) restaurants in our own city

Looking ahead to 2009, hear are my goals:
1) Make my bed every day. For real. Every single day. Even if I'm sick.
2) Quality reading. Last year I went for quantity, this year I have a book list I'm working through that covers five recommended books in each of five different genres: Historical fiction, biographies, science fiction/fantasy, mystery/thriller, best sellers, classic fiction. Add to that the 12 books for our book club TBA. If you want the complete list so you can read along with me, let me know and I'll send it to you.
3) Laugh more. I think I have a great sense of humor. But, I also think this is going to be a tough year with the economy and the world situation so I'm going to make a conscious effort to laugh more. I want to watch more comedies on television and at the movies, go to comedy clubs, read the comics, hang out with funny people. LOL, sound like fun?
4) 12 movies! That's a huge jump from 2008's eight. But, if I go to the Academy Award movie marathon with Joey as planned that's five right there. Seven more shouldn't be too tough.
5) Due to the economy we're going on a spending freeze at Chez C. Yep. No purchases for six months of 2009 beyond necessities. Plus, any purchase of an item over $100 (unfortunately, that includes clothes and shoes) has to have a 24-hour waiting period. And, absolutely no purchases on anything full price.
6) This year I made about 1/4 of the Christmas presents we gave. Next year I want to make at least 1/2 of everything we give.
7) Now, I know this is a little incongruous with my other plans to cut back (see #5 and #6), but we need to make at least a short trip to get out of town quarterly. This is strictly for mental health reasons. I don't think this will be too hard. We already have trips planned to NYC and Hawaii. Probably toss in a Chicago sometime during the year and we're only one short. Vegas and N'Awlinz are always fun. Maybe we could go to Boston and see Ashley and Alaina. Or Toronto? Who lives in Toronto? Kingsley might show us around Philadelphia. Let me know if you're willing to entertain us for a night.
8) Do more service projects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You always read interesting books - I'd love to have your list although I'm certain I'd never be able to keep up with you. Congratulations on meeting all of your goals!
ann