Sunday, December 7, 2008

Book Report--The Memory Keeper's Daughter


#54 for the year is this month's book club book: The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I know a lot of people who have not only read this book, but raved about it. Well, I read it and I think parts of it were very, very good. I love the premise of the book. Twins are born to a woman--one healthy and one with Down's Syndrome. At the moment of birth (and unbeknownst to the mother), the father gives the baby with Down's Syndrome away, presumably to never see her again. The rest of the book tells the story of what follows after this momentous decisison.

Good or bad, right or wrong, impetuous or thoughtful...decisions we make can affect us and those around us for the rest of our lives.

Technically speaking I liked the first half of this book much more than the last half. I felt like author Kim Edwards lost her way with the plot, introduced unnecessary characters and subplots and never really resolved the central issues presented in the first few chapters.

1 comment:

jpd said...

I enjoyed reading this book. enjoyed???? not like the happiest I've ever read but a good story. i also liked the Lifetime Movie. most of the time they make those movies "kinda hokie" but I thought they stayed true to the book and it was an evening not wasted.