Tuesday, October 14, 2008

2nd Tuesday of the month


Yep. It's book club night for Mom and me. Tonight's discussion is about the book The Tortilla Curtain. Remember the movie Traffic? Well, this book reminded me of that movie...Parallel stories that are loosely inter-related. Some of the themes in the book are illegal immigration, materialism, disillusionism, environmental issues, NIMBY attitudes [not in my backyard], poverty, The American Dream, healthcare.

The Tortilla Curtain wasn't my favorite book, but it was well written and thought provoking. I'll look forward to the discussion.

[BTW, The Tortilla Curtain was supposed to have been made into a movie with Kevin Costner and Meg Ryan in 2005. I think that version of the movie was derailed, but another (yet to be cast) is scheduled for release in 2010.]

No comments: