Thursday, March 13, 2008

Women Scorned

Hasn’t the image of a political wife being trotted out to stand silently by her husband as he apologizes for his part in a sexual scandal outlived its usefulness?I admire women who can forgive their husband’s infidelity. I understand doing your best to keep the family together. I even buy into the notion that a politician’s spouse is part of the team.
What I don’t accept is putting these women in a situation that amounts to a second round of personal humiliation. Their private hell becomes a public spectacle. Just once I’d like to hear one of these poor victims say to their cheating spouse, “Look, buddy, I’ll probably forgive you eventually. But you got yourself into this mess and right now you’re on your own. Come see me after you talk to the media and then we’ll sit down in private and start talking.”

1 comment:

Liza's Eyeview said...

I see what you're saying. I wouldn't want to be there either - "it's his mess, please excuse me while I tend to our daughters..." is what I would say...