Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Book Club

It’s Book Club night for me and mom. This month’s selection: She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

She's Come Undone is the story of Dolores Price from age 4 to 40. Dolores is a flawed character I fell in love with. Maybe it’s because Dolores was born two years after me, but I found the descriptions of growing up in the sixties and seventies mesmerizing. Dolores’ life is anything but easy. She battles through her less than idyllic upbringing and coming of age, and struggles through young adulthood with sarcasm, wit, and a dark humor that helps her survive.

Some of you might find She’s Come Undone depressing, but I think the book is a reflection of life…Blink and you miss the good parts. Life is short and we might as well enjoy it. Dolores is at once filled with pain and sadness, but also a joy of spirit that can’t be kept down. I loved her attitude, her spunk. I loved who she was and who she became.

And, yes, told from the perspective of a female, the book is written by a man.

Here are our ratings:
Avis: 2 thumbs up
Kathryn: 3 thumbs up

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I was just in the bookstore this weekend (Parent's Night out at church so we were kidless for a few hours) and I had NOT A CLUE what to buy. Now that you recommend this, I may have to go back. I just started "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and it is pretty good...although I don't get a lot of reading time in, I so enjoy the down time!

Joey said...

Wow! You have a lot of thumbs! I read this years ago and loved it. I give it 3 1/2 thumbs up.

Kathryn said...

Jenn, I loved it more than most people in the book club.

Joey, you're right about the thumbs. I borrowed one.

Jenn said...

I'll try it anyway...I'm always up for a new read. Believe me, after the kids are in bed, it is MY time!! :) You remember...